The people of Israel mark two-year anniversary of 7 October incident as Gaza peace negotiations continue
Citizens have come together across the country to remember 24 months since the Hamas-initiated attack on October 7th, 2023, as discussions continued in the neighboring country over an end to the war in the Gaza Strip.
The incident resulted in over 1,200 people losing their lives and 251 others taken away to Gaza as prisoners. It was the most deadliest day for Jews since the Holocaust.
Israel reacted by beginning a defensive operation in Gaza which has claimed more than 67,000 people, according to the area's Hamas-administered health ministry. Its numbers are regarded as trustworthy by the United Nations and other world agencies.
"Our bloodthirsty opponents have struck forcefully, but they have not broken us," Benjamin Netanyahu added on Tuesday.
He also promised to "accomplish all the goals of the war: the return of all the abducted, the elimination of the Hamas administration and the assurance that Gaza will no longer create a threat to Israel".
Remembrance Gatherings Across Israel
The government authorities delayed official remembrance events until October 16th - after the end of the religious holiday season - but events still took place around the country on Tuesday.
A commemorative event for the relatives of Israelis who lost their lives in the Hamas attack was organized in Tel Aviv. Arranged by the families themselves, it was aired across Israeli TV networks.
Some time earlier, a minute's silence was held around the country.
Peace Discussions in Egypt
At the same time, Israeli and Hamas negotiating teams gathered in the Egyptian coastal city of Sharm el-Sheikh for a continuing round of indirect talks to examine the conditions of the plan.
A high-ranking Palestinian official knowledgeable about the negotiations said that an night meeting of indirect talks commenced at 19:00 Cairo time.
The representative said the morning session finished without significant progress, due to conflicting views over the recommended Israeli pullout plans from Gaza and over safeguards Hamas demands to guarantee Israel does not recommence combat after the first phase of the agreement.
He added that the talks are "tough and have not yet achieve any major advancement," but noted that mediators are striving to reduce the gaps between the both parties.
Critical Matters in Talks
- An enduring truce
- The exchange of the prisoners still held by Hamas for inmates from Gaza
- The pullout of troops from Gaza
- Measures for humanitarian aid deliveries
- Post-war management of the area
Public Reaction
In the city's memorial area previously, 29-year-old a woman - whose family member survived the assault on the gathering, where hundreds were lost their lives and dozens more were taken hostage by Hamas militants - told: "No place seems like home now and until every captive come back none of us will feel safe."
"Once we see all home returned, we can relax anew. Then we can begin to recover," she concluded.
Outside Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's official dwelling in Jerusalem, people assembled to demonstrate their backing for the loved ones of the abducted. Israel states 48 continue in detention in Gaza, 20 of whom are believed to be living.
Protester a participant explained: "We need do any agreement required for the hostages to return. But we truly desire promises that we will be safe."
Research now consistently show that around 70% of the population prefer the conflict to conclude in as payment for the freedom of the abducted.
Gaza Situation
At the site of Nova festival, those paying respects assembled to honor the dead.
From the site, the noise of aerial bombardments and explosions could be heard just a brief space away in Gaza, where local people indicated the severe Israeli shelling carried on.
In Gaza City, bombardments were reported in the early hours of that day in the west side neighborhood, area and Nasr neighbourhoods and in the east side area of that sector, as well Shati refugee camp to the north-west.
"As the dusk arrives, the dread comes with it," displaced Gaza City resident Emaan al-Wahidi, whose teenage son was died by an Israeli air strike earlier, shared.
"We are terrified of the air strikes. All the night we are lying together, embracing, especially my smallest child who puts his head on me the entire evening."
"Constantly we check the reports to see the situation. And I'm afraid that this truce will not be achieved and that the conflict will come back to us."
Humanitarian Crisis
The medical facility in Gaza City reported it had taken in the corpses of several people by the afternoon, including a trio who died in an Israeli bombing in the southern district.
A different healthcare center in the southern urban center of the city reported additional victims had been delivered. A person was lost his life by Israeli forces while seeking assistance to the south region, medics stated.
Gaza's health ministry announced a significant number of the {territ